Thursday, March 29, 2012

Flower Power

At Utah State University (USU) while studying my undergraduate degree in Agricultural Education, I had the opportunity to take classes in floral design. Actually Paul was also able to do it too and you can see a picture of him still on my department's website.  You can see his face is just loving every minute of it. :)

I absolutely LOVE creating floral arrangements, boutonnieres, corsages, etc.  When I taught in VA I was able to teach a Floral Design course and had a blast using hands on approaches to help develop the students' potential.  I love it so much that if a teaching or extension position doesn't open in NC when Paul gets back, I may just work as a florist!

So when my sister got married last week, I was honored to create her centerpiece for the reception as well as the girls' and her bouquets.  Since she had over 50 corsages and boutonnieres I was very thankful she had a flower shop complete those because I would have been stuck in a back room all day Thursday and Friday getting those things done!

Here are the pictures! Beware I took them in the utility room of the church (AKA my workshop) and so the lighting is horrible.  I am sure the photographer got better shots so I will steal them one day...
Don't the red chords look lovely with the purple flowers? ;)

Laura's colors were eggplant, silver, and off white.  This shot makes the arrangement look bottom heavy so I am hoping the photographer got a better angle.

Top shot of Laura's bouquet.

Side shot of Laura's bouquet.

Bridesmaids bouquets.

I urge anyone wanting to learn things from floral design to photography to take a class! I never thought I would be able to accomplish or even enjoy it, but I was pleasantly surprised!  I also think the Interior Design course I took in college helped a little with colors, textures, etc so expand your horizons and have fun!

1 comment:

Bens Girl said...

Beautiful... you did an awesome job. And you looked gorious:)