Monday, October 6, 2008

Vandenbos Weekend!

This past Thursday, Paul's parents came into town. They arrived after our last class of the day and immediately we started our festivities!

Thursday evening we went to Paul's flag football game. It was a little disappointing because most of the so called "team" didn't show up and because they only had four players twenty minutes after they were supposed to start; they had to forfeit. Luckily, the Might Ducks were very nice and lent us some players and they played two twenty minute halves. Thanks to Seth and Dad Vbos, the Mighty Ducks and the Might Mallards (our team) had time keepers and refs. Emma, Mom Vbos and I were the cheer squad (although I seem to talk more than cheer because it is a great time to catch up with Emma). :)

After the game we went home to the ribs that had been cooking in the crock pot all day long. We also had squash and perky potatoes (cheesy potatoes casserole). It was a hearty dinner that we all enjoyed! ;) We ended up talking for the rest of the night and going to Aggie Ice Cream. What a great way to tend the day - ICE CREAM!! :)

Friday I went to my Chem class, as I have a test this week, and then pedaled my lttle bicycle as fast as I could home. The morning was warm and sunny so we took advantage of it and skipped the rest of or classes and headed up Logan Canyon. We hiked up to the Wind Caves and ate lunch at the top. For those of you who haven't done this hike...it is a must do if you live in or around the Cache Valley. They time of year that we went was perfect as the views were spectacular!



Sadly we had to go back home because Paul had an Economist that he wanted to go listen to from 3:30 to 5:30 on campus. Dad Vbos and Paul went to that lovely lecture as Mom Vbos and I made the preparations for my birthday party. I made a chocolate cake from scratch (with chocolate frosting) and Mom Vbos helped me prepare the pans. I always seem to do that part wrong and they fall out of the pan breaking in half - they don't look delicious after that happens. So needless to say, with her help the cake looked marvelous!

For dinner I made a pasta dish with mushrooms, red bell peppers, breaded chicken, bacon, and a homemade sauce. I then baked the pasta for an half hour to really capture the flavor. This was my own little creation (except for the sauce which was found in a cookbook) and I must say I think it turned out quite nice! ;) Maybe some onions next time... We had a salad and Italian Cream Sodas with our meal. Let’s just say we were stuffed!! ;)

Okay, so Paul has been like a little kid at Christmas the last two weeks because he has wanted to give me this birthday present so bad. I eventually had to tell him not to talk about it anymore because I didn't want hints. He is too funny! ;) The big moment finally came and I un-wrapped a Wii! I couldn’t believe my eyes! Along with the wii, Paul gave me Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Zelda, and Metroid. It is funny because I looked at Metroid and automatically thought that one was for him.

That evening we played Tennis, Boxing, and Bowling. Mom Vbos and I went at the Tennis while the guys went to the Rock Haus. In the morning Mom Vbos’ arm was sore from playing and I have to admit that my elbow was sore.

Saturday morning Paul and I made breakfast burritos complete with tater tots, eggs, and sausage. The rest of the weekend was spent doing odd things. We went to Pepperidge Farms and picked up some cookies and crackers. Then we went to Starbucks, Hobby Lobby, Gossner’s cheese factory, and then church. It rained a lot on Saturday and Sunday so we didn’t do a whole lot outside. We played inside on our wii instead.

4 comments:

Emma said...

Sounds like a fun-filled weekend! You are so freakin' domestic! your cooking sounds fantastic, wish I had that talent--Paul is a lucky guy. My parents have a Wii and they are way fun! HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Miss Melissa said...

Happy Birthday Sara! I wasnt aware that it was your birthday, so hope you had a happy one! Oh yes, wiis are alot of fun. ;-) I dont get on it much anymore, but when we first got it it was a new thing for me! I was very interested in it. Hehe Now that we have had it for a while, the novelty kinda wore off. Haha Maybe that will happen to you! I hope so, having dreams, oh my stars! Haha :-) No just kidding!Oh speaking of wiis, have you got the Hoola hoop game? That one is just too funny! You stand there and swing your hips, around and around trying to swing hoola hoops! the first time i saw Dan do it, i was on the ground laughing so hard! Haha You should do that one. Paul would be hilarious!
Your cake looked yummy! Good Job.
Sounds like you had an awesome time! Great job at entertaining your family. :-)

Melissa

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten that your birthdays were this month!!! Happy early and late birthday to the both of you! I love the fact that you enjoy cooking and doing stuff from scratch... I hope I'm like that when I get married!!! lol How is college going? I am sending you an email tonight... if you don't get it, could you email me? hahaha I am such a dork and didn't write down yours when you gave it to me! =) Yes, they call me a blond out here. My roommates really get a kick out of doing that... *sigh* hehehe oh well, they are so much fun, I dont' mind a bit! Later!
Kaitie

Miss Melissa said...

Hi Sara, :)
You have been tagged! Stop by my blog if you would like to participate! :-)

Love
Melissa